Sunday 20 July 2014

Top 5 Friday: Adult Books

Now, I know it's not Friday, but I was on school trips all last week, so my time has been very minimal! So this weeks top 5 Friday is adult books. While I prefer YA books, I am very conscious of the fact that sometimes I crave something a bit more sophisticated and want to read adult books. I haven't really read many adult books, but these are my favourites of the ones that I've read. (Click on the links for their Goodreads pages)

1. Room by Emma Donoghue

Now I was arguably too young when I read this book (12) but I really enjoyed it. It was harrowing and like nothing I'd ever read before. It covered new topics to me, and when reading it I felt very sophisticated in deed!


2. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

I read this when I was quite young (12 again), but I just loved it. Although it was a challenge to get through, it really began my love for historical fiction. I find some Philippa Gregory to have too much internal thought, but I thought this one had a good balance. (And it has a film which always helps!)


3. 1984 by George Orwell

You've probably heard this all before, but this book really makes you think and puts things in perspective. I only read it revelry, and felt like it was compulsory considering I love the dystopian genre so much. It was amazing. I was a bit intimidated by it before I read it, but I don't know why!!

4. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I watched the film of this a few years ago, then spotted it on my mums bookshelf and thought I may as well read it. It's soooooo much better than the film. It's not at all clique, and heaven is so much more believable to me than it was in film.  I found the perspective on how her family fell apart, and came back together without her so interesting.


5. Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart

Words cannot describe how much I love Miranda Hart. She's a hilarious British Comedienne who's so relatable. If you've watched her TV or listened to some of her old podcasts, you may recognise some of the jokes. But personally I will never tire of the things she says! 


Have you read any of these? What are your favourite adult books? Let me know
in the comments!








No comments:

Post a Comment